Thursday, January 17, 2013

Episode 2: The Playdate

Today was a preschool day which means a bit more activity in the morning as we get everybody ready for school.  The drive to school started off rocky this morning.  Max decided to have a meltdown about wanting to go to school.  In the back of the van he cried, "I want to go to school, I want to go to school!  I won't calm down until we go to school!"  We were going to school.   There was some disconnect there.  I think he wanted to hear his own voice.  Sam wanted his "two pa's" (two pacifiers - one in mouth and one in hand) and said "two pa's, two pa's, two pa's"  and Emily protested the ride by crying.  This is when I whip out the Little People CD for desperate times...track 10.  I jacked up the volume and sang again and again, "The wheels on the bus go round and round!"  This got us to school.  Thank you to the person who was as desperate as me to write a song about a bus.

After dropping Max off at school, we eagerly rushed home for a playdate with Jen Owens and Emerson.  Playdates are my favorite part of staying home.  Really they are more for the moms than the children if we're honest.   Now many husbands think that playdages entail moms sitting around nibbling on muffins and sipping lattes.  That is rarely the case.  Usually as a mom, I am desperately trying to keep my kids under control so we don't have any embarrassing scenes.  However today was a rare day :)  I got to enjoy wonderful conversation at 100 miles a minute with my friend Jen as we started about 50 different topics to catch up with everything that has happened since the last time we chatted.

Then it was off to school to fetch Max.   Sam decided to take the lid off his snack container and sprinkle the van with ABC's but at least he was happy.  Max joyfully bounced in the van to join us after a great day of painting polar bears and playing outside at school.  Oh, and Max said the sink ran out of power but Miss Linda fixed it....she's amazing.

Then is the crazy part of the day....lunch.  As soon as we get home Emily, Sam, and Max want to all eat at the same time.  After taking off winter attire, feeding Emily, and fixing lunch we are finally ready to sit down for lunch.
The funny part of the lunch was when Sam started screaming and I asked him what he wanted.  His response was, "Milk and Cookies!"  (only funny to Paul...)
However, it resulted in the quiet step as the screaming continued...
After dealing with a plugged toliet and toddler wanting to try going potty again and again we settled down for rest time.....and a playdate soon to come!  What a great day!!

2 comments:

  1. We will need to do play dates this summer when I don't have to go to work :)
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete